- Crate - A crate that is strong enough to hold your dog in (or around) your car is an absolute must.
- Food Reward - Food that your dog is excited to work for and can be eaten quickly. Kibble, soft treats, or hot dogs can work.
- Toy Reward - A toy that your dog loves and you can use to reward with. A ball on a string is a popular choice. Should be small enough to be easily concealed on your body.
- Fur Saver Collar - A large link fur saver is required for trialing. Get one that is 2-3 inches longer than your dog's neck measurement.
- Prong Collar - We recommend Herm Sprenger. 3.25mm is great for protection and can be used for obedience, but we recommend a 2.25mm for obedience.
- Obedience Leash - A lightweight leash that is easy to handle. A 4 foot length is excellent. Should be easy to secure and/or put away for off-leash work.
- Tab - A short leash with no handle. About 1ft in length.
- Agitation Harness - A harness made for protection work. These typically have handles on the back, sometimes padding in the front area.
- Long line - A line that is comfortable for you to handle and hold onto in protection work. Half inch in width is ideal. No handle or any addition loops or rings. Should be about 15-20 feet long.
- Tracking line - Trial length is 10 meters (33 feet).
- Water bowl
- Portable fans - To put on your dog's crate for better airflow during the summer.
- Aluminet shade cloth - Can reduce the temperature in your car by 10 degrees. Highly recommended for summer months.
- Towels - The field is muddy, and your dog might be too.
What to Wear
- Closed toe, secure shoes - Schutzhund is an interactive sport with running and turns. You don't want to lose your shoes!
- Clothes that can get dirty - Our field can get muddy, and we train in all weather. Come prepared with clothes you don't mind getting dirty or torn.
- Warm (or cool!) clothes - Lillington somehow manages to be colder or hotter than where ever you happened to drive from. Bring extra layers in the winter, and prepare for it to be hotter than you expect in the summer.
- Rain gear - We train in the rain, unless it is thundering. Come prepared to get wet! Waterproof shoes are definitely recommended.